Friday, December 17, 2010

What is Chlorine Shock Treatment for a Cloudy Pool?

The water in a pool can become cloudy for many reasons. Normal use can turn a pool cloudy; it does not mean that the pool is diseased. Airborne contaminants can contribute to the cloud in a pool. Naturally occurring body oils or products used on the body can also make the water cloudy. There is a normal amount of bacteria present in a swimming pool as well. Usually the culprit in a cloudy pool is a combination of all of these. In Texas, where pools can be used for longer periods of time than in other regions, cloudy water happens frequently. A pool builder in Austin can help clean up the water.
Swimming pools need regular maintenance to keep them from becoming cloudy. This is called shock treatment. The most common form of shock treatment is chlorine shock treatment. Chlorine acts to sanitize the water by killing an overabundance of bacteria and breaking down other contaminants in the water. Chlorine shock treatments are needed regularly because the chlorine level goes down with time. A shock of chlorine raises the level temporarily and cleans the water. A pool builder in Austin can supply the correct amounts and frequency for this treatment.
A pool builder in Austin can sell ‘shocks’ that are prepackaged with the proper chemical balances and amounts so the process is simple. The shock can be poured into a five gallon bucket of clean water and stirred thoroughly. The mixture is then poured into the pool by walking along the edge of the pool while pouring. This evenly distributes the chlorine mixture. The swimming pool pump should be run for about twelve hours continuously or until the cloud clears. To prevent further clouding, remove any scum on the surface of the water or debris on the bottom of the pool. Debris and scum encourages bacterial growth and the water will become cloudy again soon.
For the most part, pool owners can do shock treatments by themselves, but some caution must be exercised. Follow the direction of the pool builder in Austin carefully. Do not mix any chemicals unless instructed to do so. Always wear gloves and other protective gear when working with the shock. It can easily damage skin, clothing, etc. The shock may settle to the bottom of the pool before it has a chance to do its thing, so stirring the water up a bit can help with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment